Thursday, March 10, 2005

 

Joburg shakes

I used to think the safest place from natural disasters was Johannesburg, with no volcanos, fault lines, threats from water or anything else dangerous. Recently, I found out that it's built on the continental divide, which is presumably not so good in the long term. Even more surprising, the Jukskei river (and some unwise human decisions) has killed at least 27 people in the last few months. Yesterday, an earthquake, centered about 200 km away, shook some buildings in town and rattled some desks and computers. I was oblivious to it all - having gone outside for a smoke.

Comments:
"A continental divide is a line of elevated terrain which forms a border between two watersheds such that water falling on one side of the line eventually travels to one ocean or body of water, and water on the other side travels to another, generally on the opposite side of the continent."

Excuse me while I shit myself in fear.
 
Praat jy van 'n Foomdrol?
 
Caused by the second biggest earthquake the world has seen since 1964.
I catch the wiki headlines!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?